Friday, September 7, 2007
Monday, September 3, 2007
- Its not as easy as it looks on the internet. Shocking, I know.
- Resin cures really, really fast at temperatures above 100°F. Cure kinetics in action - guess those years of polymer science classes weren't a waste.
- The above fact makes using resin in Phoenix AZ in August pretty awful.
- Gel-coat from the local fiberglass shop is expensive.
- Fiberglass resin gets everywhere. And it smells.
So as you can tell, I'm having a ball. I'm going to try a different approach since the first piece I casted was a disaster. In the mean time, I'm going to work on the ears and other miscellaneous k9 bits. But just to prove I've made a good effort, below is a picture of the mold for the head.
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Monday, August 13, 2007
Saturday, August 11, 2007
Once I got the two sides connected I started connecting them with 1/2 x 1/2 basswood cut to the proper size. With wood glue, clamps and my brad nailer in place I started putting the head together.